Snow Globes Pose Hidden Dangers for Pets: How To Keep Your Dog Safe

dangers of snow globes for dogs

There are some affiliate links below, but they are all products I highly recommend. For more info, view my disclosure here.

Share this:

Snow globes may seem like a harmless and festive decoration, but they can actually be very dangerous for pets. These small, decorative objects often contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to animals.

Ethylene glycol, the main component in antifreeze, is often used in snow globes. It has a thick consistency that helps with the suspended snow effect, and also helps keep the contents of the snow globe from freezing during winter months.

However, this chemical can be highly dangerous and often deadly to pets if ingested. Antifreeze has a sweet taste, which can be appealing to animals, but even a small amount can be lethal. Ingesting antifreeze can cause severe illness and can often be fatal.

What Happens When Animals Ingest Ethylene Glycol or Antifreeze?

I recently came across a devastating Facebook post from a dog trainer in the UK about how her two dogs happened to pull down a snow globe, lick up a bit of the sweet liquid, and were unfortunately unable to be saved despite her acting quickly.

When pets ingest ethylene glycol/antifreeze, it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and can cause damage to the kidneys, heart, and central nervous system.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in pets may include vomiting, loss of coordination, excessive thirst, and lethargy. These symptoms can progress rapidly, and without prompt treatment, antifreeze poisoning can quickly become fatal.

In addition to the dangers posed by ingestion, antifreeze can also be harmful if it comes into contact with a pet’s skin or eyes. If your pet has been exposed to antifreeze, it is important to rinse the affected area with water and seek veterinary care immediately.

To prevent harm to your pets, it is important to keep antifreeze and other potentially hazardous substances out of reach. This can help prevent accidental ingestion and protect your pets from the dangers of ethylene glycol.

In addition to the dangers posed by antifreeze, snow globes also often contain small objects and liquid, which can be choking hazards for pets. If a pet ingests a small object or chokes on liquid from a snow globe, it can lead to serious injury or death.

How To Prevent Antifreeze/Ethylene Glycol Poisoning In Your Dog

It is important to keep snow globes, bottles of antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, and other potentially hazardous items out of reach of pets. If you have a snow globe in your home, make sure it is securely stored and kept out of reach of your pets, or get rid of it entirely and switch to safer decorations.

If you think that your pet has ingested ethylene glycol or antifreeze or has choked on a small object from a snow globe, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Early treatment can be crucial in helping to prevent serious illness or death in pets.

Snow globes may seem like a harmless and festive decoration, but they can be extremely dangerous for pets and are best kept far away from your pets!

Share this:

Similar Posts